Friday, August 1, 2008

You can't have cookies for breakfast!

Wait a minute ... yes you can!

Photo of fabulous breakfast cookies:



Let me explain: I've mentioned before that WCK starts preschool in a few weeks, and we have to be there at 8 a.m. This scares me a little bit, because WCK moves really slowly in the mornings. We're trying to encourage her to put her clothes and shoes on by herself, and she also likes to "help" make breakfast. I know these are important things to learn, but even the simplest tasks seem to take forever. I always thought I was a patient person until I had to wait for a three-year-old put her shoes on. And these are very uncomplicated shoes with Velcro straps. Don't get me started on the endless eternity of sitting on the potty.

At the rate we're going, it seems like we're going to have to wake up at, like, 3 a.m. to be ready. Maybe we just won't go to bed at all, and we'll start putting shoes on at 7 p.m. the night before.

I knew I had to start speeding things up. I've reduced the time on the getting-dressed thing slightly by putting her in nightgowns at night instead of shirt-shorts-combo pajamas. You might scoff at the notion that simply eliminating one pair of shorts can save a lot of time, but amazingly, IT DOES. IT SAVES A LOT OF TIME.

That's how long it takes her to take a pair of shorts off.

Breakfast is another big problem. If she doesn't get to "help", World War III breaks out in our kitchen; however, simply making and then consuming a piece of toast or a bowl of instant oatmeal can take what seems like upwards of 10 hours, not counting cleanup time. My proposed solution to this: Breakfast cookies. I found the recipe online, and it is all healthy ingredients. WCK helped me make the first batch, and they turned out great. We had a few for snacks, and then I stuck the rest in the freezer. My plan is to always have some breakfast cookies on hand, and then bring them out on preschool mornings.

"GUESS WHAT??!!?!" I'll say, speaking enthusiastically in all capital letters. "IT'S PRESCHOOL DAY! WE DON'T HAVE TO MAKE BREAKFAST TODAY!! WE GET TO EAT COOKIES!! MMMM ... FORBIDDEN COOKIES!"

This had better work, because I am not waking up at 3 a.m.

Here is the recipe:

2 cups bran flakes, crushed (or substitute multi-grain flakes)
2 cups oatmeal
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I used vanilla flavored)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup skim milk powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Crush cereal, and place in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add oatmeal, wheat germ, and cinnamon; set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine yogurt, applesauce, vanilla, honey, beaten egg, and skim milk powder: mix well to combine.

Add baking soda and baking powder to the yogurt mixture. Mix well.

Gradually add the cereal and oatmeal mixture to the yogurt mixture and stir well.

Add raisins and mix to combine.

Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the batter and roll it into a ball. Place onto a non-stick cookie sheet, or lined with baking parchment, and lightly flatten.

Bake at 350°F for 15-18 minutes. Makes 24 cookies.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment