Thursday, July 31, 2008

Karen's great escape

Today our stay-at-home-moms' group went downtown to Science City, a science museum for kids. It was great fun. We hadn't been there since WCK was a year old, so she got a lot more out of her visit this time. She got to dig for dinosaur bones, play with bubbles, twirl pieces of Styrofoam in a cool wind machine thing, play mini-golf, ride in a helicopter, play music on trash cans, and sail rubber duckies in a water maze, among many other things. I didn't think I'd ever get her out of there. She was completely worn out when we got home.

The last time we were there, if you'll remember, there was an African bullfrog on display in the animal area. I felt a special kinship with this frog, because the frog was named Karen. That's her photo with my blog profile. This morning, I looked all over for Karen, but she was nowhere to be seen. I started to worry that maybe -- gulp -- Karen had passed away. I'm not sure how long African bullfrogs live. Maybe two years is, like, 80 years in Bullfrog Years.

Deep in my heart, though, I know Karen is just fine. I've decided that she orchestrated a daring escape from the science museum, perhaps with some of her lizard and chinchilla friends. Maybe she had to crawl under laser beams and maneuver her way through secret panels in the ceiling. Finally she emerged into the fresh night air, and she headed out on the road to pursue her dream of becoming an actress in Hollywood. You know, just like in The Muppet Movie, only with a slightly less attractive frog.

Good luck to you, Karen. We're all rooting for you.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment