Saturday, May 3, 2008

Part II: M-spike drama

I'm back from having the MRI. This time I got in right away, and the MRI tech was a really nice guy who apologized for what happened yesterday. This leaves me wondering if that receptionist does things like that all the time. It wasn't too bad; in fact it was pretty relaxing to just lie there for a half hour. I got to put on headphones, and they had a bunch of CDs I could choose from. Unfortunately, some of the better CDs in their selection included Yanni, The Backstreet Boys, and Barbra Streisand. I opted for a Motown's Greatest Hits collection. Every time I hear "Babylove", I'm going to think of the MRI.

I hope it's not a tumah.

Anyway, back to my story. Yesterday while I was waiting endlessly for the MRI, I got a message on my cell phone from my nurse at the cancer center, letting me know that my M-spike is now 2.1. Just four weeks ago, it was 1.7. My M-spike has NEVER gone up that fast, even when I was off treatment -- and it's never gone up at all while I've been on treatment. It wasn't a grim message or anything; it was more like, "Your M-spike is 2.1! Have a good weekend! Buh-bye!"

What? WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?

After I rushed home from the MRI, I spent the next couple hours playing phone tag with the cancer center. The nurse finally relayed that Dr. GPO is not at all worried, but the rise could be the result of stopping the dex. He said he'd leave it up to me: I can wait and see what my next test result says and make a decision then, or I could start back on the dex now.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I hate dex.

I was pretty freaked out yesterday, convinced the Revlimid has quit working, picturing cancer cells running wild, sure of a looming stem-cell transplant, imagining myself back in the apartment in Rochester again, sick, bald, line hanging out of my neck, banned from seeing WCK because of my weakened immune system.

But I'm trying to calm down. I'm sure it'll all be fine. FINE.

I think I'll give Dr. H a call this week to see if I can get her opinion. I have another blood test at the cancer center in three weeks, and I go to Rochester to see Dr. H in person in four weeks. Argh. I'm tired of having cancer. Can I give it up and pick a new hobby? Cross stitch? Badminton? Stamp collecting? Anything boring would be preferred.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment