Thursday, May 15, 2008

Nobody puts WCK in the corner

My mom was right: No good can come from letting your child watch Dirty Dancing. Granted, I only let her watch about 30 seconds of a YouTube clip, but I blame myself for this latest development.

Just as in the movie, my innocent daughter is in love with a rebellious, devil-may-care older man. He lives next door. He is eight. I don't know if he can dance, but he can ride a bike without training wheels.

The affair started over the weekend, when Neighbor Boy was lured into our yard by WCK's new playhouse. He and WCK ended up playing together for about an hour or so. He was so unlike any of the men her own age, and he broadened her horizons: He taught her how to play "Duck, Duck, Goose."

The next day, Neighbor Boy and his family went out of town for a week, and WCK has been pining away ever since. She calls him on the toy phone several times a day and keeps asking me when he is coming back. She always wants to play "Duck, Duck, Goose", which isn't quite the same when you only play with two people.

Just before bedtime last night, she announced, "Mommy, I love (name of Neighbor Boy)."

I just hope we aren't having this same conversation when she is 15 and he is sitting in my driveway on the back of a Harley.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment