Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Special Die(t)

I could have died when I got the word from my dietitian yesterday: NO restaurant or take-out food for one month after discharge. I'll have to continue my quest for the best dim sum, Chinese tea house and banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich on fresh-baked baguette) in the San Gabriel Valley after Christmas.

As a consolation prize, my Taiwan-born foodie-dietitian has promised to write down HER recommendations in two of the categories, along with a list of her favorite food bloggers. (In the San Gabriel Valley, it seems that the best food bloggers are Asian-Americans in their 20s or 30s.)

I will be allowed to have restaurant tea, as long as it's hot. (Dr. Forman had given me permission last week to bring in passion fruit tea from Au 79. Had he realized that the tea was iced and included bits of fresh fruit, it would have been a no-no. Oops.) My dietitian recommends (and permits) the Tea Station's almond green tea (green tea with hot almond milk.) Friends: Get ready for a lot of field trips with me to Alhambra, Arcadia, San Gabriel and Temple City for tea.

The good news is that I am permitted home-cooked food, as long as my healthy friends can attest that the vegetables and fruits were well washed and that the food was not contaminated with coughs or sneezes.

I think I know someone who makes a killer sweet potato pie. I'll bet it will taste great with almond tea.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment