Sunday, June 21, 2009

A little stress on the prairie

I mentioned at Christmastime that I received the entire Little House on the Prairie series on DVD. This is a set of 60-some discs in a box shaped like a covered wagon. It was the greatest Christmas gift ever. Ever!

I watch my Little House DVDs whenever I can. Right now I am getting toward the end of Season Three. I think this is where the series really hit its stride. Albert has not joined the cast; Mary still has her eyesight; we haven't hit the dumb episodes where everyone in town gets phones or Nellie turns nice. As much as I love it, though, I think Little House is going to be the death of me. I'd forgotten how horribly, horribly suspenseful these episodes are. I know, logically, that Michael Landon is not going to be killed off in Season Three, but while I'm watching these episodes, I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown, never sure that everything is going to be all right.

Here are the last three episodes I've watched:

1. Charles accidentally gets shot while on a hunting trip with Laura, and the only person who can help is Burl Ives, but he's blind.

2. The children are walking home from school when a sudden blizzard hits, and all of the menfolk in town have to go searching for them. Mr. Edwards doesn't find his kids until the very last second, and I just knew they were not going to make it.

3. Carrie falls down a mine shaft.

I can't even bear to recount everything that happened when Carrie fell down the mine shaft, but I will say that the actress who played Ma should have won an Emmy for the way she was lying face down in the dirt with her hair all disheveled.

Here's the summary for tomorrow's episode: "Mr. Edwards and Doc Baker help out in a nearby town when there's a mountain fever epidemic."

I just know that is not going to end well. I think I need to go lie down.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment