Saturday, December 20, 2008

The horror's. The horror's.

I realized this morning that my sworn enemy -- the misplaced apostrophe -- made an appearance on my blog two posts ago. I have a serious problem with misplaced apostrophes. I know I need to relax a little bit about it, but I just can't. I'm thinking this qualifies as a mental illness.

Dear friends -- friends I have known and loved for years -- will use apostrophes incorrectly on their Christmas cards, and I will actually think -- for a split second -- that I'm not sure if I can be friends with them anymore. I recently visited the web site for WCK's school and saw the word "student's" when it should have been "students'", and I briefly considered sending her somewhere else.

In my defense, the Evil Apostrophe occurred in one of the questions on the Christmas quiz that I copied and pasted from my e-mail, so I didn't actually type it myself. Still, my apostrophe-hating brain should have picked it up right away. To make matters worse, the word didn't even need to be pluralized with an "s" at all. It was the word "reindeer".

That's right. The sentence, "Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's?" appeared on my blog.

The shame. The shame. I need to go lie down.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment