Tuesday, November 16, 2010

They're diabolical!

WCK joined Girl Scouts a couple of months ago. When you're five, you're a "Daisy", and you wear a little blue vest or smock that makes you look like a tiny Wal-Mart greeter. I was pretty excited that she was finally old enough to be a Girl Scout, mostly because of the cookie access, but also because I enjoyed being in Brownies when I was a kid. I remember doing a lot of crafts, singing a lot of songs, and, once, going on a field trip to McDonald's, where I was absolutely fascinated to see how the pop machine worked. I think I earned a badge for jumping rope.

Well, today's scouts are much more serious. At her meeting today, WCK received a chart that will help her keep track of all of the ways our family is "using resources wisely." Why, sure! This is an excellent idea! I can remind WCK to turn off lights when she leaves the room. I can nag her to not let the water run when she brushes her teeth! This is great for girls to learn.

Then I actually read the chart and saw that I, personally, would have to use the resources wisely and stop living the lazy, irresponsible lifestyle that I work so hard to maintain. For example, one of the things she needs to check off is, "Ask parents to eat more meals with the family at home instead of going out to eat at a restaurant."

Really, Girl Scouts? You want to take away my free ice cream at Jason's Deli? You want me to cook? Have you no souls?

I won't even get into the one about how you should help mom/dad hand wash the dishes instead of running the dishwasher. It's simply inhumane.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment