Sunday, November 8, 2009

Doughnuts and jewelry

This morning, our church had a "Holiday Gift Mart", with lots of booths where you could buy crafty-type items, a bake sale, a raffle, and so on. Usually I shun anything holiday-related until after Thanksgiving, but the diabolical evil geniuses in charge of the Holiday Gift Mart (also known as the ladies of the Altar and Rosary Society) had moved the post-church doughnuts to the area where the gift mart was being held, so if you wanted a doughnut, you were forced to attend the gift mart as well. They also posted cute, cookie-selling Girl Scouts at the door. Diabolical, I tell you!

If you'll recall, I use the doughnuts as a bribe to get WCK to stay in Sunday School, so I can use church as a peaceful, reflective time to compose blog posts in my head. I mean, pray. Plus, I really like doughnuts. So we had to attend the gift mart.

It turned out to be fun, and the highlight was the "Kids' Store." Only kids are allowed to shop in the Kids' Store, where adult volunteers help them pick out gifts for their parents and wrap them. This way, the parents are surprised and the kids get to pick out gifts all by themselves. The gifts are all small items that people have donated.

WCK was absolutely thrilled that she got to shop all by herself. She picked out a present for me and one for Jay. She was just glowing as she walked out with her presents. I think it was the highlight of her life.

The only downside, of course, is that today is Nov. 8, which in Kid Time is approximately 25 years before Christmas Morning. I suggested that we wait until Christmas, but WCK was so excited that she couldn't even wait until after lunch, and she made us open the gifts right away. Jay got a picture frame for his desk at work, and I got a stretchy gold and silver bracelet. It's a little bit itchy, and I swear I saw Betty wearing the exact same one on Ugly Betty, but it reminds me of WCK's glowing little eyes, so I think I will wear it every day for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment