Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Signs, signs, everywhere signs

Long before I had WCK, I heard that the day your child learns to use a doorknob is a very sad day, because you can no longer contain said child when you want to. I never really understood that until WCK learned to use a doorknob and then learned how to defeat the childproof cover on the doorknob. For a long time, we've been having a lot of trouble with her escaping from her room at night when she is supposed to be going to sleep.

Tonight, I yet again had The Talk with her about how she needs to stay in the bed. She then had an amazing idea: I should make a sign reminding her to stay in the bed.

Never mind that she can't read. I am willing to try anything.

Together we made a sign that said, "No going out the door!" I had to explain to her what an exclamation point is. I said it meant the sign was very, very serious about her not going out the door.

I taped the sign to the inside of her door and left. And?

She did not go out the door. She went right to sleep.

That's all I needed for the past year? A sign? Now I'm thinking of all of the other signs I can make: "Eat the healthy dinner I cooked for you" or "No screaming when I'm on the phone". The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment