Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Watch out for Jabba the Hutt

Thanks to Jay, WCK has developed an interest in Star Wars. A couple of weeks ago, she asked to check out a library book called Watch Out for Jabba the Hutt. Every night before bed, Jay and WCK dance around gleefully to the Return of the Jedi soundtrack, and then they sit down and read Watch Out for Jabba the Hutt.

One of the more surprising things I've learned from Watch Out for Jabba the Hutt is that Jabba has a son, a cute little baby Hutt, named Rotta. I said that I wasn't aware that there was a Mrs. the Hutt. Jay said that there's not, but Jabba has a serious girlfriend. Then my brother-in-law came to visit, and while he agreed that Jabba has a serious girlfriend, he said she is not the mother of Rotta. He was pretty sure that Hutts reproduce asexually.

Seriously. These conversations go on in our house. My child has a zero-percent chance of turning out non-nerdy.

Anyway, WCK was very excited to show Watch Out for Jabba the Hutt to Uncle Wookiee (Yes, we call him Uncle Wookiee. It's not because he looks like a wookiee. He just really likes wookiees in general.). She brought the book downstairs ... and then it disappeared. We looked everywhere for Watch Out for Jabba the Hutt.

Where was it? Was it hiding somewhere, reproducing itself asexually?

WCK wasn't too concerned, maybe because Uncle W had brought her a bunch of cool new Ewoks for her Ewok village. I was horrified, not just because I was going to tarnish my nearly perfect library record, which is bad enough. I was going to have to admit to a librarian that I had checked out a book called Watch Out for Jabba the Hutt.

I'm happy to announce that we found Watch Out for Jabba the Hutt this afternoon, tucked away safely in a drawer. It had not reproduced itself, and Jay and WCK were able to read it again tonight. My library record is again safe, and my child is back on her path to nerdiness. Thanks, Jabba!

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment