Wednesday, September 26, 2007

PET Scan(dal)


I was scheduled for a 7:00 follow-up PET Scan at City of Hope this morning, but I learned yesterday afternoon that the equipment is on the fritz. During each status report phone call, I would imagine an underemployed Maytag repairman tinkering with the sophisticated machinery.

At 8 pm, Juan called to report, "It's still down. Someone will call you tomorrow to reschedule once the equipment is operating."

The PET scan (along with the CT and MRI) is one of the most valuable diagnostic tools for a cancer center. Without it, dozens of anxious patients (including me) are left in the dark.

My appointment with Dr. Forman, currently scheduled for Thursday afternoon, will have to be put off until after the PET scan is complete. I was looking forward to this meeting to set my mind at ease about the mild symptoms (weight loss, fatigue, gastrointestinal grumblings, burning sensation in right eye) I've been experiencing for the last few weeks.

The waiting doesn't get much easier.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment