Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cancer Girl on location

An exciting development here at Cancer Girl Headquarters: The International Myeloma Foundation contacted me about a week or so ago. They are going to be flying Jay and me to Chicago in a couple weeks and putting us up in the Hard Rock Hotel so that I can attend the American Society of Clinical Oncology annual meeting and blog about it.

I say, it's about dang time this fatal disease started paying off for me. A free hotel room! Aren't you all so jeaaaalous? Don't yoooooou want a fatal disease? Well, tough. It's my fatal disease, and you can't have it!

Seriously, though, I am a little bit nervous about reporting on this meeting. I'm hoping that the good people at the IMF have thoroughly reviewed my blog and understand that it consists of 99 percent NKOTB tributes and photos of Bon Jovi with his shirt off, and approximately 1 percent actual scientific fact. The titles of the presentations contain words like "carfilzomib" and "panobinostat" and "intravenous bortezomib", just to name a few. I'm assuming these are actual words, although they could easily be words that oncologists invented to make their meetings sound important. "If we say it's a meeting about, oh, say, 'carfilzomib', no one will ever guess that we're really sitting in the conference room drinking margaritas! Ha ha!"

Don't worry, clinical oncologists. I promise I will never reveal your secrets. I will write things like, "The talk about carfilzomib was very scientific and serious, and I learned tons of facts, and I swear there were no margaritas involved." You will want me at your meeting every year.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment