Friday, May 21, 2010

Being five rocks!

Wow, so much has happened in my fast-paced, whirlwind life since I last blogged. Laughter, tears, human drama. For starters, the super handsome guy got voted off American Idol. WHAT? Is this one of the signs of the apocalypse? I have not been following AI as closely as I have in the past -- we have one of those old-fashioned TiVos from, like, the 1880s or something that can only tape one show at once, and Lost is on at the same time as AI this season -- but I figured the super handsome guy would at least make the top two. Dreadlock Girl has been destined to win since day one.

Also, I got to the point in my Little House DVD collection where Mary goes blind. This feels like a huge milestone in my life. "PA!!! I CAN'T SEE!!!" So brilliant.

Let's see. I think that's about it. Oh, and when I looked away from the TV for a few seconds, I noticed that my only child had turned five.

FIVE!! That's right! FIVE!! When I started this blog, she was about nine months old. Five seems very old to me, maybe because I can clearly remember being five myself. We had another birthday-party extravaganza with 15 kids at one of those bounce-up-and-down places. I love the bounce-up-and-down place, and they always do such an excellent job with birthday parties. I think WCK should have her birthday party there until she turns 18. Can you have a high-school graduation open house at a bounce-up-and-down place? That would be sweet. The theme this year was, of course, Hannah Montana. WCK had a giant purple Hannah Montana cake and balloons, and she wore a t-shirt that said, "Being Five Rocks!" All of the kids got sunglasses.

The downside of turning five, though, is that you need to get shots. Lots and lots of shots. We did that yesterday. I think WCK handled the shots better than I did. She brought along her myeloma buddy, Hug-Hug, for moral support, and afterwards, I took her to McDonald's for a chocolate milkshake. WCK agreed to share the shake with me, and we drank it with two straws, like teenagers on a date in an old movie. It almost made the shot trauma worthwhile.

On the day after her birthday, I asked her if she liked being five. "Oh, it doesn't really feel any different," she said. "You know, like the day after I turned one? I still felt like I didn't have an age."

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment