Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Safe Place

WCK's classroom has something called "Safe Place." Safe Place is a cozy little nook with a bean bag chair and some soft toys. The kids are encouraged to go there when they feel overwhelmed and need a break, or if they're acting up and need a time out. Yesterday, WCK got into the car after school and cheerfully informed me that the teacher had sent her to Safe Place because she'd been hitting her friend Charlie. What? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

We had to have a Serious Talk about how you don't hit your friends, blah blah blah, but all WCK seemed to care about was the fact that there are puppets to play with in Safe Place.

This morning she was still talking about Safe Place and asked if we could have one at our house. As naive as I am, I thought this sounded like a good idea. She already has a little pink chair and a basket of books in a corner of the living room, so I told her that could be her Safe Place. She then proceeded to hit me and say, "I just hit you! I get to go to Safe Place!" She gleefully ran off to sit in her chair and read her books.

Hmm. I have a feeling the Safe Place method of discipline is not working. Remember in Shawshank Redemption when the released inmates would purposely try to get back into prison because they couldn't handle life on the outside? It's exactly like that.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment