Thursday, January 17, 2008

Homecoming Accessories

I checked out of Hotel Hope on Tuesday with two bags of dirty laundry, a half-used box of Kleenex and a dazzling set of new accessories.

Drugs: I'm still taking the steroids and a counter full of newly prescribed antibiotics.


Temporary Disabled Person Parking Placard: What's good in more places than the cancer card? What has more credibility than chemo brain? My Prius's latest accessory, the temporary handicapped placard, is good until July 2008, but I think I'll ditch it before the end of the month. And, no, you may not borrow it for your trip to the mall.




Flying Report Card: I went in for a blood draw yesterday and found that my blood levels are soaring again.


Day 55, Wednesday, January 9, 2008
(Numbers in parantheses are normal ranges.)
WBC 0.7 (4.0-11)
RBC 2.44 (3.8-5.2)
HGB 8.2 (11.5-15.5)
PLT 37 (150-350)

Day 62, Wednesday, January 16, 2008
WBC 4.0 (4.0-11) NORMAL!
RBC 3.37 (3.8-5.2)
HGB 11.1 (11.5-15.5) ALMOST NORMAL!
PLT 55 (150-350)

Appetite: For the first time in nearly three months, I have an appetite (thank you, steroids), and I can actually taste the food. I celebrated my stellar blood counts and the return of my taste buds by stopping at a whole-in-the-wall Mexican joint that's just a few blocks from CoH.

When it comes to Mexican food, I say don't listen to a north-of-the-border food critic, even if he does have a Pulitzer Prize on his wall (or is it on the mantel?). Listen to the CoH cleaning staff and watch where the gardeners go. They steered me to La Paloma, where I enjoyed a home-made pork tamale and bowl of cocido, a traditional beef shank vegetable soup.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment