Friday, November 14, 2008

They Say It's My Birthday

It was one year ago today that I sat shivering in my bed at Hotel Hope as my frozen stem cells were infused into my body.

I'm told that stem cell transplantees - both auto and donor - get a new birthday on the day that they receive their life-giving stem cells. Since mine were infused over a two-day period, November 14 and 15, I'm not sure if I have two new birthdays or if I just look at it as a very long labor with the birth taking place on November 15.

Either way, it's certainly something to celebrate. Another year alive. Another year cancer-free. Another year older. And another excuse for cake.

(The cake in this photo from my August birthday is from Pastries by Nancy in Altadena. I just ordered a birthday cake from Takes the Cake in Pasadena, the same bakery that made my brother's wedding cake. At least now I won't be tempted to raid the ice box for the top tier of his wedding cake.)

UPDATE: I enjoyed a beautiful birthday weekend in Laguna Beach with two good friends. We sipped champagne while we watched the sun set at the Montage, walked the beautiful grounds, and then ate dinner and the "re-birthday" cake.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment