Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Two wives down, four to go

For the past month or so, I've become completely and utterly obsessed with the TV show "The Tudors" on DVD. This is a soap-opera-like series based on the life of King Henry VIII and his six wives. It is completely trashy, and yet you don't notice any of the trashiness because everyone is wearing fancy costumes and speaking in English accents and murmuring about going to war with France and signing treaties (when they're not flinging their clothes off or taunting the Pope or beheading each other), so you can convince yourself it is actually highly educational and not trashy. It is trashy-cational.

I finally finished season two, and I'm actually a little bit relieved that season three is not yet on DVD, so that I can have my life back for a little while. I'm not sure if I remember how to live a normal, non-Tudors life. I'm going to have to try.

After each episode, I'd find myself running to Wikipedia to find out more. I'd find myself talking back to the TV, as though talking to the TV would not only influence the plot, but could change things that actually happened 500 years ago.

"Take the oath!!!" I said. "JUST TAKE THE DANG OATH!!!"

Thomas More did not listen to me. And look what happened to him. Seriously, don't talk to me about Thomas More. I've been upset for days. I just can't take it.

Anyway. If Wikipedia is right (and it always is), then "The Tudors" is fairly accurate, although there are a few errors. For example, here is the real Henry VIII:



Here is "The Tudors" Henry VIII:



Historical accuracy is highly overrated.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment