Monday, September 14, 2009

I ran a 5k!

I've walked several 5ks before, but this was the first time I actually ran one. It's also the first time I've ever participated in a race that raised money for a disease that I personally have:



The race was held in Pittsfield, Illinois, which is just 30 minutes from where my sister lives. She found out that this race was going on, and it just happened to be right around my niece's birthday, so we made it into a family weekend. Jay, WCK, my sister, my brother-in-law, my niece, my parents, and my brother-in-law's dad all participated in the race. It was a beautiful course that went around a lake, and I was amazed by how many people showed up. I got to talk to the race organizer for a few minutes afterward. She also goes to the Mayo Clinic and has had myeloma for nine years. She pointed out a man who is also a myeloma patient at Mayo, and -- listen up, everyone who has been given the "you have three years to live" speech -- he was diagnosed in 1990. That's nearly twenty years ago, people!

There were a few brief moments before I crossed the finish line where I thought I was going to throw up, but I did not throw up. I crossed the finish line triumphantly. See? Absolutely anything is possible.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment