Friday, January 16, 2009

Snacks o' the Irish

Today my stay-at-home moms' group had a meeting with an international theme. Everyone was supposed to bring a snack that somehow related to her background. Since our great-great grandpeople were Irish, I went online and found a really easy recipe for these Irish tea cakes:




That's the photo from the web site, not the actual cakes that I made. While mine were tasty, they were not nearly that neat and attractive, and I forgot to put the extra powdered sugar on top. I'm not sure how authentically Irish they were, plus the recipe called for gooseberry jam. I'd never heard of it, and, apparently, neither has the local Price Chopper, so I used strawberry jam instead. Since most of the people who ate them were under three, I don't think anyone cared.

I needed to use an electric mixer for part of the cookie-making, so WCK chose to hide upstairs. I guess an electric mixer sounds too much like a vacuum. When she came back down, however, I tried to explain to her about Ireland. I thought I was doing a pretty good job, but, really, her only frame of reference to Ireland is the show "Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks":



So we ended up talking a lot about Jakers, and I thought she'd learned something new. "So, in Ireland," she said, "all of the animals can talk?"


Um. Maybe if you've had enough Guinness.

No comments:

Loading....

Post a Comment